Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chalk it up!

Activism comes in all shapes, sizes, forms and methods. Sometimes it requires a lot of planning or money. Other times it requires talent and perhaps a lot more courage than we currently have in our lives. As parents, we are devoted to caring for our babies. Some days, we struggle just to get through the day! The idea of going door-to-door, giving out brochures in front of a hospital, talking on a radio, etc can be overwhelming. What can you and I do in our busy lives while still keeping our children a priority?

I was spending a beautiful day at the park with my babies, sitting on the big sidewalk wrapped around the playground when my toddler asked me to draw a picture with her chalk.

I said to myself, “I can’t draw for my life! I’m a writer!” Then I knew what to do!

I began writing a couple catchy slogans on the sidewalk and included two of my top resources for legitimate research on circumcision:

http://www.drmomma.org/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/peacefulparenting

http://www.thewholenetwork.org/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WholeNetwork

In a matter of moments, I had parents walking by my slogans, pausing to read the words. Some rushed by, eyes carefully thrown up to the sky. But many others stopped long enough to read it and a few mamas smiled at me. One very pregnant mama asked me what “it was all about” and then whipped out her Android and went straight to DrMomma’s website.

That box of chalk cost me 99 cents. My daughter had fun practicing her “alphiebet” as she calls it and I was able to put the information literally right under the noses of those who need it the most: parents!

Grab a box of chalk and join me! (Google your area to ensure chalking on public walkways is legal. Some counties have caused controversy by enacting ordinances against kids chalking.) If you would like to submit your creations to be showcased on this blogpost, email it in jpg form.

© Guggie Daly




(And I had to share a little clip of my kiddos chalking it up!)

© Guggie Daly

9 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS!!! Thank you so much for sharing. What a creative, fun idea - and you can even get the kids involved. :) I know just the right sidewalk space for our upcoming chalk messages...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHH Ian is just to darn cute!!! And Thanks for the Idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they are BOTH so darn cute! can't get enough of those kids (or the idea of course!) we are heading out to do this very thing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do it where it will do most good - on the pavement outside the maternity entrance to hospitals, facing outward. Outside antenatal care places. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome idea! must add chalk to the grocery list...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! We need more people to speak up about this horrible injustice that's perpetually inflicted upon our most innocent and helpless. Thanks for being a voice for justice and positive change!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone know if it is legal to chalk a message outside on the pavement going into a state hospital? I agree with Hugh7 -- the best place to do this is where pregnant moms are going to frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This could also be done with a pro-life message...

    ReplyDelete