Sunday, July 22, 2012

The New Face of NFP

Tired of dealing with the constant myths and misrepresentations of NFP (Natural Family Planning, also called Fertility Awareness Method)?

Tired of people asking if you're religious?

Tired of people mistaking scientific progress and information for the old calendar method?

It gets old, answering the same questions about the same myths.

You'd think NFP/FAM would be huge in the crunchy, hippie and feminist movements. Charting your fertility is all about taking responsibility for your body and your choices. It's about education, being informed, giving full consent, knowing the risks/benefits of any decisions you make and monitoring your own health. It's about keeping synthetic hormones out of your body and choosing to keep your body running as nature intended.

It's about getting rid of the medications, the surgeries and the barriers and finally taking charge of your fertility.

Thankfully, there's a new site up and running that is modern, secular and scientific. 

Go head, check it out. I promise you won't get an email from the pope.


If you liked this post...

Not Fertile

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait til they can sell the magnets :)! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I need to rant. I read here a lot, never commented. Here goes for my first comment!
    We use a combo of NFP and barrier method. I had a diapraghm which we used in fertile times. It's worked for nearly 8 years for us, and we've been happy with it. It expired, so I trotted of to see my doc about a new one.
    She proceeds to give me a long lecture on how old fashioned it is, how NFP is inaccurate and ineffective, that diapraghms are not widely used any more... (We use a silicone one) and then tries to sell me the Mirena (not keen, simply don't want a device inside me on a permenant basis, not comfortable with it) then hassles me to get the progesterone implant or the pill. Hormonal birth control really doesn't agree with me, and we had issues after I was on it, and came off it, so I'm anti that as well. She seriously thought I was some mad old hippy, because all I wanted was a plain old diapraghm. She also looked a bit shocked when I mentioned I'd nursed til 26mths and that my son had only just weaned.
    I felt about 15, that she was questioning that I knew my own body and what worked for me/us. I was so cross. She did finally prescribe what I wanted, but I wasn't happy at having the mirena rammed down my throat and being lectured on a contraceptive method that actually, has worked fine for us...
    Sorry, rant over. It seemed appropriate, given this post is on NFP to comment on the stupidity of medical practioners who are pushing the standard blurb that doesn't always work for everyone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I need to rant. I read here a lot, never commented. Here goes for my first comment!
    We use a combo of NFP and barrier method. I had a diapraghm which we used in fertile times. It's worked for nearly 8 years for us, and we've been happy with it. It expired, so I trotted of to see my doc about a new one.
    She proceeds to give me a long lecture on how old fashioned it is, how NFP is inaccurate and ineffective, that diapraghms are not widely used any more... (We use a silicone one) and then tries to sell me the Mirena (not keen, simply don't want a device inside me on a permenant basis, not comfortable with it) then hassles me to get the progesterone implant or the pill. Hormonal birth control really doesn't agree with me, and we had issues after I was on it, and came off it, so I'm anti that as well. She seriously thought I was some mad old hippy, because all I wanted was a plain old diapraghm. She also looked a bit shocked when I mentioned I'd nursed til 26mths and that my son had only just weaned.
    I felt about 15, that she was questioning that I knew my own body and what worked for me/us. I was so cross. She did finally prescribe what I wanted, but I wasn't happy at having the mirena rammed down my throat and being lectured on a contraceptive method that actually, has worked fine for us...
    Sorry, rant over. It seemed appropriate, given this post is on NFP to comment on the stupidity of medical practioners who are pushing the standard blurb that doesn't always work for everyone! ;)

    ReplyDelete