Monday, August 20, 2012

Birth Truth on Labor Day

© Carla Hartley 2012
"In 2005, I had a little meltdown over the cesarean numbers in our country. I had been doing birth work for 30 years, but for all of our shouting and handwringing and fist shaking, we were going backwards instead of forwards in terms of the super large number of surgical extraction of babies.

I wrestled with enormous guilt, frustration and even despair. Then I had an epiphany. Instead of yelling at hospitals and doctos, I would just tell the truth to as many owners of birth as I could.

And so I started by printing 60,000 of the cards I designed: "There are more than 40 countries where it is safer to be born than in the US." (To date, the count is now 49 countries). I invited friends to either come to NYC and hand out cards with me or to hold local truth telling events in their areas. I knew that many people wanted to participate but didn't have the money or time to join us in Times Square. But they could have picnics in the park, walk down to the beach, have a block party or neighborhood parade with the kids, or hold individual or neighborhood garage sales. They could also decorate sacks and make signs.

We printed pens to take to restaurants to give to servers. We printed Birth is Safe; Interference is Risky yard signs (my landlord made me take mine down so I put it in my car window!) We have not made it back to NYC on Labor Day since 2005, but many of us have been telling the truth in our neighborhoods every Labor Day weekend since.

Telling the truth doesn't take a lot of time or money or travel but it is incredibly effective in terms of helping women take their births back. I have received many cards and emails thanking me for a neighborhood BIRTH TRUTH ON LABOR DAY effort that changed their life.

This year, 2012, marks our 7th year. We don't have the cards this year. Instead, we have Trust Birth bands, pens and fortune cookies (instead of fortunes, they contain slogans such as Birth is Safe; Interference is Risky.) We are fired up again and will be telling the truth in as many neighborhoods as we can. We hope you will join us right where you are at!

www.birthtruthonlaborday.com 
www.trustbirth.com 
www.cafepress.com/aamidwifery
www.cafepress.com/oxytocinawareness



No comments:

Post a Comment