Friday, September 7, 2012

Trust Birth = Trust Fertility


Several months ago, I decided to collect various gadgets and use various NFP methods to track my fertility cycles. (First post.) (Second post.) I wanted to compare them and write a review about each one, along with sharing my fertility journey.

And today, I am closing that project. I've thought about this from every angle and I've decided it is not right for me.

Please don't misquote me. I fully support NFP (Natural Family Planning) also called FAM (Fertility Awareness Method) <-- I hyperlinked my two favorite sites on the topic and I encourage you to check those sites out for more information. A healthy, aware lifestyle also includes being informed about our fertility and choosing healthy ways to manage it, whether to avoid or achieve conception (or simply to assist with choosing medically necessary interventions for a health condition).

No, what I mean is that I don't want to chart. I'm sorry, and my tone is sincere. I really wanted to provide some insight from a crunchy perspective. Say or feel what you will, but this is not for me. Let's get real here, I'm the person who refused to pee on a pregnancy stick, remember?

Without any serious reason to monitor my normally functioning body, I'm left feeling that NFP is at odds with my inner voice. And I can't do that to myself, my partnership and our family. Like "natural induction" I'm left asking myself why I am closely monitoring a healthy body working normally. If I say I trust my birth, my body and my babies, trusting my fertility better be in the mix, too.







2 comments:

  1. I can understand tht. I am an NFP instructor, and yet don't chart strictly. Because I am in tune with my boy, I know what's going on, roughly enough, but I don't feel the need to change my behaviour one way or another based on it, if that makes sense. I would be strict if needed, but it isn't neede right now, I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I love NFP, loathe charting. I charted prior to getting pregnant with my now 6 year old, because I had some problems with certain hormone levels, and had had 2 miscarriages. But now, I've gotten to know my body so well, that I can pretty much pin-point ovulation, and my period arriving almost 100%. I do note down in my calendar on my BlackBerry, when I ovulated, and when my cycle starts, but that's just to keep a rough track, not for monitoring. Charting seems like such an effort now, when I think about how much I did prior to my daughter's conception.

    ReplyDelete