Friday, June 14, 2013

Pregnancy Started the Journey to Healthy Living: Guest Post by Katie Moore

©2013 Katie Moore

Choosing to eat healthy via natural foods was my primary goal when I found out I was pregnant. Prior to pregnancy I ate what I considered mostly healthy foods, but never paid much attention to food labels. All of this changed when I knew I was supporting another little human! I immediately became more conscientious of the little-known chemicals that were put into many of the prepackaged foods I had been consuming.

After doing some basic research, I discovered that investing in organic foods and in organic household supplies could make a big difference in what I exposed my baby to in utero and after birth. This led me to the beginning of a completely new and natural lifestyle that I have come to love thoroughly!

Simple, Natural Foods to Boost Your Energy

One thing that was a big factor in motivating me to eat more natural foods during my pregnancy was I always felt lethargic and tired. A friend who happens to be a nutritionist explained to me that many of the heavy, starchy foods I was consuming were making me feel fatigued. I quickly discovered she was right when I switched to more nutritious meals!

Because purchasing organic foods can be expensive, it is a good idea to watch for store sales and then stock up on produce and other organic items when they go on sale. Most things can be frozen until you are ready to use them if you catch a good sale and buy items in bulk. If you find peppers, kale and other similar vegetables on sale, these can easily be chopped and frozen to use later in soups, salads or in whole-wheat tortilla meals!

Grow Your Own Herbs in Your Kitchen Window 

 If you want to grow some of your own things but don’t have time for a big garden, you can consider growing a small herb garden right in your kitchen window. You simply find a size-appropriate container, add soil and put in seeds for herbs such as cilantro, basil, thyme and parsley. This way, you will have fresh, natural herbs to season your meals with. You may discover this is a great way to reduce the amount of salt you use by turning to fresh seasonings instead.

Easy-to-Make Natural Cleaning Products

Another thing that I found easy to make a natural switch to was making my own cleaning products. From dusting solutions to tile and oven cleaner, I spent far less money by making my own solutions and I was also ridding my home of chemicals!

Baking soda and water is a great combination to clean hard-to-remove oven stains, and this mixture also works well for grease that sticks to baking pans and skillets. I used lemon and water in a spray bottle to clean all the windows in my home and I recycled old T-shirts and turned them into dusting towels. I found that many small changes yielded big results.

It's also great if you have a supportive partner. Be sure to reach out in your local community to find friends who are also making these changes and who can support you.  If you have questions about taking a more natural approach, feel free to ask your doctor or pediatrician. I was fortunate enough to have a doctor who informed me about everything- from birthing options to breastfeeding to the value of cord blood! I hope you enjoy a happy, healthy and natural pregnancy!

Katie Moore enjoys blogging on a variety of topics including motherhood, childhood, fitness and natural health. To connect with Katie, check out her blog, Moore From Katie or her twitter, @moorekm26.

No comments:

Post a Comment