Tuesday, January 7, 2014

5 Benefits of Himalayan Salt Lamps

Ever heard of a Himalayan Salt Lamp? I hadn't either, until a few years ago when my husband was researching ways to reduce exposure to electronic pollution. He came across the practice of using hunks of himalayan salt to clean surrounding air.

The basic premise is that when you heat the chunk of salt, it draws surrounding moisture towards it and as the moisture is evaporated, that develops negative ions which neutralize the air.

How well this works depends on how big the salt hunk is and how frequently you use it.

I found a 12 inch tall one under $20 so figured I would get it. I think it's pretty cool regardless of the purported benefits. I keep it in my workspace while blogging.

Potential benefits:


  • Emits negative ions
  • Restores air quality
  • Neutralizes pollution and allergens
  • Combats SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)
  • Reduces stress and anxiety


Himalayan salt has many other health applications. You can read more about it here.




4 comments:

  1. I love them too and have them in my house. After much research though, I've found that for them to be effective in the ways you've described above we'd need an insane amount of them in one room. One ion won't do much! Regardless, they cause no harm and are pretty anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guessed as much, too! But hopefully keeping one by the computer is doing at least some good. If nothing more than chillaxing me. :p

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have certainly discussed very useful benefits about salt lamps, I also have a big collection of them at my home :) . Actually my sister is used to have skin allergic issues like pimples and rashes due to changing weather. Then my uncle told my dad about Himalayan salt lamps as a remedy for breathing and skin issues. Now she had kept two salt lamps in her room to avoid from these skin allergic issues.

    ReplyDelete