Monday, March 10, 2014

Song for a Fourth Child



Song for a Fourth Child*

Mama oh mama, just leave him to cry!
Wean him by age one or they'll ask you why.
Don't soothe all the bumps and don't waste time at play.
Don't slow down your schedule or nurse away your day.
Where is the mama whose choices are so vexing?
She's out on a nature walk connecting.



Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, breast-pacify, lullaby, loo).
They point fingers and whisper about what's due.
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peekaboo, I love you).
Holding and loving, responding on cue,
And when they hear about co-sleeping there's a hullabaloo.
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.)


Oh, independence will come after tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, naysayers. Trolls, don't say a bleep.
I'm attached to my baby. Because babies don't keep. 

Happy 6 months!


*This is a take on the famous lullaby, Song for a Fifth Child, by Ruth Hamilton.

Related on the blog:
http://guggiedaly.blogspot.com/2011/02/house-can-wait.html



Little Finn is standing!

No comments:

Post a Comment